Chemotherapy is aimed to reduce the tumor or completely stop its growth and is the main component of comprehensive cancer treatment. It has a general, systemic effect on the body and means that the medical agent enters any part of the body and affects any of dividing cells.
Chemotherapy treatment is individual for each patient and is divided into pre op (neoadjuvant), post op (adjuvant) and supportive (palliative).
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy is prescribed before the core cancer treatment. Usually, it’s purposed for tumor reducing before its following removal during surgery, as well as at determining the body's response to the medical agent giving the maximum therapeutic impact to the tumor;
- Adjuvant chemotherapy is prescribed in addition to the core cancer treatment, which is tumor removal. Adjuvant chemotherapy is purposed to prevent disease recurrence and treatment of distant metastases;
- Palliative chemotherapy is prescribed when cancer healing is impossible. It is aimed to relief the disease symptoms as much as possible.
The up-to-date approach to cancer treatment is ground on a combination of different methods to impact the tumor and the complex chemotherapy involves the medications of targeted therapy and immunotherapy.
- In targeted chemotherapy the medical agent is aimed directly at target-cells that have any genetic abnormalities leading to the development of a tumor. That is why during targeted therapy healthy tissues and organs surrounding the tumor are not exposed to an aggressive impact of medication, in contrast to the traditional chemotherapy affecting the whole body. Thanks to this selective influence, the side effect on the whole body is reduced to a minimum, ensuring the maximum treatment of cancerous cells. Targeted chemotherapy has shown its effectiveness at various stages of cancer, including advanced ones. Usually, targeted medications are pills, and doesn’t require a long stay in a hospital, so patients live their lives surrounded by family and loved ones.
- Immunotherapy has become one of the achievements in cancer and blood cancer treatments in the last decade. Its purpose to activate the patient's own immune system for tumor cells fighting. In most cases it brings the brilliant results even in advanced stages of the disease.
A combination of various cytostatic agents (medications that stop cell growth) in simultaneous therapy is called polychemotherapy. It prolongs and also improves the life’s quality.
Chemotherapy in «Manufactura» clinic
Here in «Manufactura» clinic we provide with polychemotherapy using cytostatic that are well known and recommended by the world oncology institutions like NCCN, ASCO, ESMO, AHA, EHA. We competently implement chemotherapy protocols following:
- precise dosing of the agents and double control of cytostatic dosage during its calculation,
- giving a corresponding supplement therapy,
- following accurate medication administration terms,
- following generally accepted world standards in intervals and number of chemotherapy cycles.
The attending physician, pharmacist and nurse control the medication dosage regulated by treatment protocols. For chemotherapy, we use only original medicine or generics produced by well-known global companies certified in Ukraine.
Our patients are cared by a team of qualified nurses specially trained for cancer patients. We provide our patients with comfortable units. If patient’s health conditions or laboratory indications deteriorate, we admit him/her to the intensive care unit for anesthesiologists and resuscitators round-the-clock supervision.
In case of chemotherapy course lasts more than 7-10 days our surgeons install the port systems which is special central venous catheters that simplifies the long-term medicine administration and protect the patient's veins from repeated punctures.
Supplement therapy in a comprehensive chemotherapy
Supplement therapy is necessary to improve the patient’s medical state during the chemotherapy as the antitumor course aggressively affects the whole body. Supplement therapy also called palliative support not only reduces the side effects of cytostatic medicines, but also ensures high tolerance to them, enhancing the overall effect of treatment.
In "Manufactura" clinic, we prescribe an appropriate supplementary accompanying therapy for each individual chemotherapy treatment, and constantly control the electrolyte and the acid-base balance indicators for adequate infusion therapy to prevent the syndrome of rapid tumor disintegration, acute kidney damage or heart dysfunction. Patients receiving chemotherapy undergo regular check-ups of peripheral blood parameters, heart activity (echocardiography), urinary system (daily monitoring of renal and electrolyte metabolism indicators), thyroid function (regular monitoring of hormone levels). We have own laboratory and diagnostic center for timely and precisely diagnosis any changes in the patient's medical state caused cancer treatment or complications.
We perform the chemotherapy for following cancer:
We advise every six months or annually examination by specialty doctors for early cancer diagnosis. We have developed special cancer check-up programs consisting of basic mandatory examinations for men and women, to help you take care of your health.
Make an appointment
Date - 23.09.2022
Nutrition during chemotherapy
Advice to the patient about the diet during cancer treatment.