Endoscopy is not only a leading modern method for diagnosing diseases, but also one of the most effective surgical methods of treatment.
How is endoscopy done
Diagnostic and treatment procedures are carried out with the help of an endoscope is led into the body through its natural pathways. The endoscope itself is a thin long tube with a diode lamp and a video camera at the end. The doctor moves the endoscope forward manually, so the endoscopist has an opportunity to carefully overview every centimeter of the examined area. For the tissues walls of adjasent the organs not interfere with the reviewing area during examination, carbon dioxide is supplied through the endoscope to straighten the tissues and give a room for viewing. The enlarged image (up to 200 times) in high quality is broadcasted to the screen of the operation room. The doctor has also an opportunity to view the received photos and video after the procedure is completed, which is very important for the accuracy of diagnosis.
In addition to the diagnostic itself, endoscopy is necessary for local therapeutic procedures, such as removal of papillomas or foreign bodies from the internal organs, placement or removal of stents, stopping internal bleeding, sputum removal, medicine applicatiob directly to the diseased organ and other procedures.
The duration of the endoscopy depends on the type and complexity of the examination and treatment procedures. Diagnostic endoscopy is carried out using a local anesthesia to relieve discomfort sensations when the endoscope is inserted. On the patient's request the endoscopy can be done with a drug sleep, in this case any discomfort is completely eliminated. Surgical and therapeutic procedures with the endoscope are performed only with a drug sleep. All the endoscopic procedures shall be carried out with an empty stomach (6-8 hours after the last meal and drink), it is also necessary to refrain from eating for another 2:00 after the procedure.
Benefits of endoscopy
- high accuracy of the examination of organs' state, their tissues, mucous membranes and blood vessels, this allows also to find out if the pathology process are present
- direct access to a diseased organ for its treatment
Disadvantages of endoscopy
- unpleasant sensations during the procedure, if it is carried out without anesthesia or drug sleep
Endoscopic operations in Manufactura Clinic:
- Endoscopic stenting (installation of esophageal and colonic stents)
- Endoscopic removal of polyps in the gastrointestinal tract (endoscopic polypectomy)
- Stopping gastrointestinal bleeding - endoscopic hemostasis (argon plasma coagulation, electrocoagulation and vascular clipping)
- Gastrointestinal neoplasm biopsy
- Gastrointestinal Removal
Make an appointment